Donor-centric Health Check
How donor-centric is your company? Think about the following questions, and if the responses are generally positive that means the organization (and those who support you) are lucky to be part of an organization that is donor-centric. Section 18A
If your answers are overwhelmingly negative, your business isn’t keeping up with the best practices in fundraising and most likely not getting the kind of assistance you’d get from having happy and loyal donors.
- Did your organization conduct surveys on satisfaction of donors in the last 12 months?
- Does your company regularly conduct research with donors to support your fundraising efforts (e.g. feasibility studies focus group interviews, feasibility studies, etc.)?
- If you are part of a donor community Have you performed a wealth screening on them?
- Are you profiling your supporters?
- Have you performed Lifetime Value Analysis on your donors?
- Do you do research on your donors who have stopped giving to discover the reason they have stopped giving?
- Do donors have to provide suggestions prior to introducing an innovative program or service that needs their help?
- Do you solicit feedback from donors on the special occasions they attend?
- Do you check the media for news stories about your most significant major supporters?
- Do you know the reason each individual donor made the decision to support your organization?
- Is your fundraising/advancement material generally written so that it addresses the reader directly as in “You have helped to… “, or is it generally written in a ‘corporate voice’ as in “We have helped to… “? (FYI”You “You” is a powerful way to draw the attention of your audience – make use of it! ).
- Does your organization consider the building of relationships to donors is among your top priority?
- Do you send an annual report to donors on the impact their contributions have made (e.g. the results on behalf of the beneficiaries)?
- Did you organize training occasions for the donors of your organisation (e.g. lectures or seminars on topics that relate to the work of your organization)?
- Do you develop your patrons by interacting with them to discuss their experiences and insights?
- Do you need less than two clicks from your homepage to access your donation page?
- When you donate online, aside from the necessary information needed to make payments via credit card (e.g. the amount of donation; the name on card; card number; expiry date etc.) Do you spare donors from filling out additional mandatory fields?
- Have you devised programs to let your donors meet or interact with recipients?
- Are stories of beneficiaries and donors are included in your communication and marketing materials? If yes do you have stories of donors featured on your website?
- Do you provide your donors with regular updates on your organization’s operations?
- Do you share your mistakes and success your organization has had with your supporters?
- Have you surveyed your donors to provide you with their communications preferences? If yes do you follow up with your donors based on their preferences?
- Do you have your donors segmented and do you send out targeted communications to specific segments?
- If you are aware Do you write congratulation messages to the donors that have accomplished something noteworthy in their work as well as personal life (e.g. won an award, recently married)?
- Do you respect donor loyalty, e.g. recognise important donor anniversaries (e.g. when you’ve been the recipient for 5 or 10 years)?
- Does your organization have transparency in how it uses donations from donors?
- Does your organization regularly monitor the understanding of your customers about your brand?
- Are your communication strategies designed as a result of research conducted by donors or feedback from customers, as well as market insights?
Policy, procedures, and procedures
- Do you offer supporters with diverse selection of ways to fund your organization (e.g. the pledge over time or volunteering, mentoring, donations in kind, art and shares, property as well as involvement on advisory boards etc.)?
- Does your company have a policy for acknowledging donors, e.g. do you call significant donors to express gratitude after their cheques arrive? Does the CEO of your organization send a personalized thank-you letter to donors who have made significant contributions?
- Do you have a fundraising department with Key Performance Indicators which includes the level of satisfaction of your donors as a measurement?
- Are your fundraising/advancement staff remunerated or paid a bonus that depends on achieving donor satisfaction metrics?
- Have you got a complaint procedure for donations? If yes does it exist, how do you publish it?
- Are you in possession of a policy on gift acceptance? If yes do you have it in writing?
Systems for managing donors and procedures
- Are you able to create annual plans for development for your most important donors? If yes do your donors contribute to them and have access these plans?
- Have you got a system for managing relationships in place for the major donors? If yes is the case, does the top director of the organization have a formal responsibility for managing relationships?
- Do you have a staff member with the responsibility of overseeing the major donors?
- Have you got a database equipped with capabilities for CRM (Customer Relations Management) capabilities?
Culture of the organisation and commitment
- Does your organization’s management regularly offer suggestions to prospective donors to follow-up with? If yes are they able to assist by introducing them?
- Does the CEO of your company engage in soliciting substantial contributions?
- If yes did they say they’ll make an inheritance?
- Have you contacted your board or council members to look over your current major donors and potential donors lists to see if there are any relationships they might be able to establish with these donors?
- Does the description of the chief executive of the company the senior executive, board/council members have donor solicitation cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation of donations as their responsibilities?